- Space Solar Power collects energy from sunlight in space. That energy transmits wirelessly to Earth.
- Our energy and greenhouse gas emissions problems can be solved by using space solar power. Space solar power may deliver big quantities of energy to every person on Earth with a precise tiny environmental impact.
- The solar energy presented in space is exactly billions of times larger than we use today.
- The lifetime of space solar power is a truly long-standing energy solution. It is an assessed 4-5 billion years.
- Space solar power is definitely the biggest potential energy source available as the Earth obtains only one part in 2.3 billion of the Sun’s output.
- There is an additional need for Space solar power is to retreat from fossil fuels for our conveyance system.
- Space solar power may offer the desirable clean power for any upcoming electric transport system.
- Space solar power has a number of substantial leads over other energy sources, whereas all feasible energy options should be followed with potency.
- Space solar power does not release greenhouse gases dissimilar to oil, gas, ethanol, and coal plants.
- It does not compete for or rest on increasingly rare freshwater resources, unlike coal and nuclear plants.
- It does not play for gradually valuable farmland or depend on natural-gas-derived fertilizer. Food may last to be a major export instead of a fuel worker.
- Space solar power would not produce hazardous waste that needs to be stored and protected for hundreds of years, not like nuclear power plants.
- Unlike global solar and wind power plants, this is available 24/7 days a week, in giant amounts. It works irrespective of cloud cover, wind speed, and daylight.
- It does not deliver relaxed targets for terrorists, unlike nuclear power plants.
- Space solar power does not need naturally problematic mining operations.
- This would provide true energy freedom for the nations that develop it, removing the main source of the national competition.
- Space solar power may be spread to almost any place in the world. Its energy may be transformed for local needs.
- Space solar power development costs would be very huge, while abundant smaller than the costs of global warming and climate change. The cost of its development continuously needs to be likened to the cost of not developing space solar power.
Necessities for Space Solar Power
Following technologies and infrastructure required to make space solar power achievable:
- Small-cost and ecologically-friendly launch vehicles. Inexpensive, refillable launch vehicles are under development by more than one private company.
- Big scale in-orbit construction and operations. Solar power satellites should be bigger to meet massive quantities of energy.
- Power communication. A comparatively minor effort is also essential to measure how to finest transmit power from satellites to the Earth’s surface with negligible ecological impact.
These altogether technologies are rationally near-term. They have many good-looking methods. Though, an inordinate deal of work is required to bring them to practical completion. Space solar power may be made from materials from space.
Power Dispatch to Earth ~ Looks Like Science Fiction
Scientists in the USA have successfully tested a solar panel the size of a pizza box in space, designed as a prototype for a future system to send electricity from space back to any point on Earth. The panel is known as a Photovoltaic Radiofrequency Antenna Module (PRAM). This was first launched in May 2020. It was closed to the Pentagon’s X-37B unmanned drone, to connect light from the sun to convert to electricity.
The solar panel is circling in space above the earth every 90 minutes. The panel is designed to make 100 % use of sunlight in space, which doesn’t pass through the earth’s atmosphere which blocks 90 % of sunlight & allows only 10 % light to reach the earth’s surface ~ making it more powerful than the sunlight that reaches Earth. This pilot project’s ultimate goal is to have space solar power plants exceeding earth-based largest power plants today – with capacities of hundreds of megawatts.
The project design is to install huge kilometers-wide space solar antennae, which could beam microwaves that would then be converted into zero-carbon electricity to any part of the planet. The unique advantage solar power satellites have over any other source of power is global transmissibility ~ one can send electrical power to Chicago and after an hour – send electrical power to receiving dishes in Tokyo, Beijing, etc.